[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Plant Bath and planting Java Moss

> From: Mark Wickersham <mwickers at minerva_cis.yale.edu>
> Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 20:10:00 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Java Moss planting tips?
>
> I purchased some Java Moss the other day, and I planted it in the normal
> fashion by pushing it into the gravel.  But I have no idea if that is the
> correct method, because I can't tell which end is up (or down, as this
> case may be).  Any ideas?

Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana) does not have any roots. It should not be
buried in the gravel. It can be left free floating (without a lot of water
turbulence, it will tend to settle to the bottom); eventually it will
attach to something, or it can be
anchored between some rocks to hold it in place or it can be tied with
monofilament line to a rock or piece of driftwook.   Once attached,
 the branching foilage seems to change, for the better.

> From: Peter Konshak <pkonshak at fiat_gslis.utexas.edu>
> Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 12:45:40 -0500 (CDT)
> Subject: Quarantine for plants
>
> Well, not exactly.  Is there some sort of bath that I can give new plants
> before I put them in my tank, to make sure that I'm not introducing algal
> spores, nasties, etc?  Thanks,

A 2-3 minute soak in bleach, diluted 1 part bleach to 19 parts water will
kill the algae, but will not hurt healthy plants.  I have tried this with
dozens of plant species and none have died (with the possible exception
of Vallisneria).  I use 2 minutes for the more delicate plants and 3
minutes for the hardier ones.  This approach was recommended by Paul
Krombholz and was written up in TAG a few years ago.

--Neil