[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #36

> From: Jeff Stuart <jastuart at mailbox_syr.edu>
> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 10:26:53 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Aponogeton dormancy
>
> Thanks to all of you who replied.  The advice to put the Aponogeton bulb
> in the vegie crisper was given by Dorothy Reimer of the Aquatic
> Gardener's Association, when she gave a lecture at the local aquarium
> society.  She said to put it in a zip-lock bag with about a tablespoon of
> water, and leave it in the crisper for 6-8 weeks.  She didn't say
> anything about changing the water occasionally, but I think that may be a
> good idea.  Perhaps those whose bulbs rotted left them in for too long.
> I'm going to give this a try, and I'll report back (6 weeks from now...)
> on the results.

	If the bulb is going anarobic inside the baggie, you could try
perforating it with a pin to make some air holes.  We just recently got some
vegie crisper ziplock baggies in the mail that were just like this (maybe
we're a test market for them or something).  The holes were at the cornices of
a 1" grid in case anyone cares.
	At the 40F in the refrigerator, nothing is probably going to use much
O2 so probably only need a few holes.