[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Heating cable source

>From: Erik Olson <olson at phys_washington.edu>
>Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 19:23:46 -0700 (PDT)
>Subject: Heating cable source
>
>When I picked up a bunch of nichrome wire for making my acrylic bender, it
>came in a wide variety of thickness, including some fairly beefy big stuff
>that had far too LITTLE resistivity.  I'm certain some could be found in
>the correct resistance.  The problem here, as I said before, is lack of
>insulation and succeptibility to breakage (maybe).

To build a low-wattage substrate heater which generates about 1
watt/foot of heat, it might be sufficient to just use airline tubing
or something similar as insulator, as Steve Pushak suggested.  Do you
have any numbers on the range of resistances/unit length that is
avaialble?  How much does nichrome wire cost?  And where can one find it?

-Shaji