[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #17

> From: mleather at tbdmil_com
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 95 08:41:36 -0600
> Subject: Water Quality
>
>         Since i have moved I have not set up my tanks and am curious to
> some of you opinions on water quality.  In the past I never measured
> hardness however at our new location the fixtures imediatly were turning
> orange from the rich iron content comming from out well.  I called in the
> local water experts and they intalled a standard salt type water softner
> which I run Iron fighter salt in and really does a good job.
>         My question is with the water softner will it cause inproper readings
> as far as hardness.  From what someone told me it replaces the calcium in the
> water with sodium.  Is this added Sodium going to cause me problems?  Or would
> I be better off using the hard water before it is softened?  I don't have a
> lot of monry to invest now but have about 30 tanks sitting in my basement
> waiting to be set up again.  So the most economicial solutions would be
> appreciated.
>
>         dennis

	Commercail water softners like the one you've installed
	at your home isnt the answer .. you are right about the
	sodium part...unfortunatly fishes arent happy with
	that kinda water...they have excange resins and crystals
	available at petstores/mailorder that you can add to your tank.
	These pillows can eithe be added to your filter or just
	placed in the tank...and they should bring the hardness
	down in a day or two. They can also be 'recharged'
	therefore thay are economical.

--
	- Ghazanfar Khan Ghori