[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Water Quality

From: mleather at tbdmil_com

>        Since i have moved I have not set up my tanks and am curious to
>some of you opinions on water quality.  In the past I never measured
>hardness however at our new location the fixtures imediatly were turning
>orange from the rich iron content comming from out well.  I called in the
>local water experts and they intalled a standard salt type water softner
>which I run Iron fighter salt in and really does a good job.

Did these guys run a test on your water?  What were the results like? An iron
concentration of 0.1-0.2 is OK in most planted tanks.  Also, how hard is the
water?

>        My question is with the water softner will it cause inproper readings
>as far as hardness.  From what someone told me it replaces the calcium in the
>water with sodium.  Is this added Sodium going to cause me problems?  Or would
>I be better off using the hard water before it is softened?  I don't have a
>lot of monry to invest now but have about 30 tanks sitting in my basement
>waiting to be set up again.  So the most economicial solutions would be
>appreciated.

I don't believe the readings will be affected if you are replacing
calcium and magnesium ions with sodium.  I don't know what effect the
iron removal process has.

-Shaji