[Prev][Next][Index]

Aponogetons

>I'm interested to hear what you all are using for substrates especially
>anyone who has had success with long-term Aponogetons (2yrs +). I think
>I will redo my 49 gal. substrate this year. Gravel + fertilizer is not
>enough, I suspect.

1 1/2 years, not two, but I haven't ever yanked them out of the tank.  The
a.bovinianus was really pretty when I first planted it, but needs fertilizer at
the bulb right now.  The hybrid a.crispus is all over the place, with a 5"
inflorescense hanging out of the tank.  The regular a.crispi are about 14" tall
and two of them have sent up flowers.  Regular a.crispus seem to like their
flower stems to stay in the tank.  I can display the hybrid, but when I tried
to display the first regular, it wilted.  I'll keep the other regular stem
inside the tank and just let it flower.

I don't have anything in my gravel right now except a few years worth of
accumulation.  I currently have fine gravel on top of coarse gravel, and don't
have enough accumulation in the coarse to be really worried about dead spots.
When I redo the tank, I'll do a more "optimum" substrate.

My regular a.crispus looked pretty sorry until I upped the light and added CO2.

>Anyone propagating Aponogeton Madagascariensis out there? Or any
>flowering Aponogetons?

I have a few a.crispus flowering right now as well as an a.crispus hybrid.
No seeds yet.

David W. Webb
Enterprise Computing Provisioning
Texas Instruments Inc.
(214) 575-3443 (voice)		MSGID:		DAWB
(214) 575-4853 (fax)		Internet:	dwebb at ti_com
(214) 581-2380 (pager)