[Prev][Next][Index]

Nymphaea

>From: Erik Olson <olson at phys_washington.edu>
>> From: "shaji (s.) bhaskar" <bhaskar at bnr_ca>
>>
>> I've had quite good success with water lilies.  I bought some generic
>> "Nymphaea species" bulbs from Walmart, and they did well enough that
>> the bulbs grew much larger.  I finally sold off the whole lot at an
>> auction.
>
>These are normal water lilies, right?  The kind that grow really huge and
>are meant for outdoor ponds.  The ones I've had no luck with are the
>"dwarf" bulbs sold in aquarium stores: N. stellata, N. maculata, N. lotus(?).
>Perhaps I need to take a trip to Wal-Mart, now that we have them here.

No, these are dwarf lilies meant for aquaria.  They are sold in the
pet department at Walmart as dry bulbs, along with assorted species of
Aponogetons. Take a look at my article at your WWW site, there should
be a picture of this plant I am talking about. By the way, I have had
great luck with Walmart's Aponogeton bulbs as well.  They are cheap
and nearly always viable.

>> I currently have a single red spatterdock that I bought oh, maybe
>> three years ago.  I really like this one, it tends to stay submerged,
>> unlike most water lilies that I tried.
>
>Is "red spatterdock" really spatterdock?  Dumb question, I know, but I've
>wanted to grow spatterdock for years.  It's a creeping rhizome like
>Anubias, and they sell you an end-cutting which usually rots after a
>month or two.  Zo tell me more about zis plant ov yourz. :)

If spatterdocks have rhizomes, mine ain't one, but it was sold to me
as a spatterdock.  It just has a regular bulb.  Its leaves are almost
circular, in contrast to the arrow-shaped leaves of the plants I got
from Walmart.  The leaves are thin and fragile.  It has stayed less
than a foot tall all the time I've had it, and is usually only six
inches tall.

-Shaji