Re: [APD] LED Lights

Richard
A member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club has been making LED lights using CREE LED's for a few years. He has a few illustrated step by steps in his blog if you are interested. They are in the order in which he built them. Very good reading.
CREE XR-E Q5 for a 55 gallon http://aquariums.seaspraydesigns.biz/diy-projects/diy-high-power-led-aquarium-lighting-part-i/ It is in 5 parts. CREE XP-G R5 for 200 gallon http://aquariums.seaspraydesigns.biz/my-200-gallon-tank/diy-cree-xp-g-r5-led-aquarium-light-part-i/ It is in 3 parts.
CREE XP-G R5 for a 34 gallon cube  http://aquariums.seaspraydesigns.biz/34-gallon-cube-aquarium/cree-xp-g-r5-diy-led-aquarium-light-34-gallon-cube/ One part only. CREE XM-L (T6) for a 75 gal http://aquariums.seaspraydesigns.biz/my-75-gallon-tank/cree-xm-l-t6-diy-led-aquarium-light/cree-xm-l-diy-high-powered-led-aquarium-light/ See the following update as he had some LED's burnout in this fixture and modified it as posted in his update
CREE XM-L (T6) Update http://aquariums.seaspraydesigns.biz/diy-projects/my-75-gallon-diy-led-cree-xm-l-t6-update/
I have seen his tanks personally and can say I am highly impressed with the lighting. You can see the shimmer effect on the bottom due to the water ripples, just like sunlight or MH. Ken ended up reducing the power input to his LED's because they were too bright and his Crypts were growing horizontally and hugging the bottom.
He is currently building one using two different light color temperatures: warm white and cool white. There will be two power supplies for each color temperature with two dimmers so the intensity of each color temperature can be varied to suit the observer.
Jerry SmithBloomingdale, NJ