> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 12:27:24 -0500
> From: "Richard Wickboldt" <plants at wickboldt_com>
> Subject: [APD] LED Lights
> To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> Hello all and Happy New Year.  I am presently reviewing my light systems for
> my two heavily planted fish tanks.  I presently use Coralife T5 HO strip
> fixtures for a 2 - 3 watt/gallon environment.  This has worked well for me
> for many years.   Except it seems the fixtures fail too often.   Seems the
> transformers just don't last very long.  So with LED technology around these
> days; I was wondering if it is a viable choice for the keeping of plants.
> Does anybody have any thoughts and/or suggestions on LED lights for keeping
> a healthy planted tank.  Does anybody use LED systems? They seem so
> expensive also.
>
>    Richard Wickboldt

While I won't try to talk you out of LED's... that technology is definitely improving at a rapid pace, the problem with burn-out on your T5HO's is, most likely, not a T5HO problem, but a Coralife problem.  I can't tell you how many people have told me they've had trouble with these fixtures (not the bulbs... they seem to be fine, but the fixtures themselves)

Karen