[APD] miracle

now that's a response!

Unfortunately,  the original person inquiring does not have your  wealth of
knowledge and IMHO if you tell people not to dose ferts to start out  they
think they never will.

I totally agree with 90% of what you are saying

but

I still maintain that most species of aquatic plants draw their nutrients
from the water column and not from the substrate. So severely limiting their
 access to the very things they need when they have already been stressed
by the  transplant process just doesn't make sense to me.  I would think it
would  be better to be sure that the tank had an abundance of nutrients
available.  Now obviously , if the plants are very new and small, they wont
need the high levels of nitrogen.  But access to carbon and trace elements?
Cant see why they don't need them.

Open to hear and explanation.

I am not saying there is no nutrients to be found in the substrate.   But
whatever there was to begin with leaches out and is not replaced.   Plants
use the trace elements and then they are gone.

Anyone out there ever do a chemical analysis of mulm?

I use a commercial fertilizer, a liquid carbon supplement (used to use
canister CO2), 1.5 to 2.5 WPG (about) and do WC's according to the fish
population and feeding regimen..

But the only real issue I had with your first post was the withholding of
ferts.

rich green
milton ma