Re: [APD] New CO2 system

aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com wrote:
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:41:01 +0100
From: "Philippe Lemaire" <ph_lemaire at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [APD] New CO2 system
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

What about giving a fixed number of bubbles per minute
with no regulation ?

Philippe

I've done that before; bubbled the CO2 into the intake of a hang-on-back filter. You just about have to use some kind of regulation with pressurized tanks. The way I did it was with an adjustable pressure regulator (welding oxygen regulator converted to CO2 fittings) and I had a makeshift capillary tube to restrict the flow. So I just adjusted the pressure to give the right number of bubbles per minute, and it was stable because of the resistance of the capillary tube.

But I wonder if one could supplement CO2 using seltzer water? Seltzer is pretty expensive to buy, but is extremely cheap to make if you have pressurized CO2 tanks. Just add a little in the mornings after the lights come on. Getting the dosage right would be the tricky part; better to underdose than over. At least you wouldn't have to worry about it running away if the needle valve shifted.

-Bob