Re: [APD] Using Excel to kill the algae

> From: Stuart Halliday <stuart at mytriops_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Using Excel to kill the algae
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> I believe Nick Andrews wrote this email section below:
> > Alrighty then.  I got my 2L bottle of Excel to treat my 55 and try to bring it back into the realm of respectability.  What is the recommended dosing rate to kill the BGA and its friends?
>

> Double normal dosage for a month.
>

> > Also just finished the bacteria chapter in Diana W's book.  Very interesting!
>
> It's a great book isn't it?
>
> http://theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad
>
> --
> Stuart Halliday
> http://mytriops.com/
> 200 Million years in the making...

I have been dosing it at a capful (10mL) a day for the last week or so, and the film which was on the glass is peeling away now and shrinking as well.  The platies are eating it, and the plants seem to be coming back a bit.  The mats of algae on the wood seem to be retreating.

This tank has been set up for about 3 years, with a 2" layer of mixed sand, peat and Shultz Aquatic Plant Soil in it, Magnum 350 canister filter, JEBO cheapo light fixture with 2 55W 5500K bulbs running about 9 hrs/day.  Never been vacuumed at all, just drained most of the way a couple times to move it across the entryway for remodeling, few water changes and water topoffs as needed, which is fairly often due to the open top (which has unfortunately allowed 3 adult Australian Rainbows to commit suicide).  Our water is pretty damn hard here in the desert southwest.  So, we will see if the jungle val starts to come back.  It was quite vigorous for a long time, but most has died recently.  Assorted swords, a few types of anubias and crypts have survived.

Nick A