Re: [APD] NO3

I believe Robert T. Ricketts wrote this email section below:
Plants uptake and use nitrate (NO3) and ammonium (NH4), both forms are
useful.  Only nitrite (NO2) is excluded other than in sequestered
intracellular reactions.  Nitrite is too toxic to use as an uptake or
internal transport form of usable nitrogen.  The use of nitrate versus
ammonium does involve a small additional energy expenditure, but that is
trivial versus the obvious drawbacks to having high concentrations of
ammonia/ammonium in the tank.  That could be deadly on higher ph water.

So in theory by adding ammonia drops to my tank, the plants would only take up the ammonium part and leave the free ammonia behind?

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/