Re: [APD] Getting shot of Nitrate Xperiment

Stuart Halliday wrote, in part:

>The idea of the experiment was to test out methods of fishless cycling.

Fishless cycling, as originally popularized on the web, was never intended
to provide de novo bacteria by chance.  To be practical and timely, some
inoculation had to be provided.  Originally the rock wool potting material
of commercial hydroponic-grown aquatic plants was suggested for those
lacking safe mature filters on other tanks.  But in the many web versions,
apparently this requirement was dropped along with the inflation of the
ammonia levels employed.  Both of those factors are detrimental to the
process from what I see on the web and from my own experience.

In practical application of the technique bacterial starters from whatever
source are needed, and the technique should be run at ammonia and nitrite
levels more moderate than those commonly reported.  For those with acid
water, the KH should be monitored as well to maintain KH at or above ~3
degrees (in the USA, 1 degree = 17.86ppm CaCO3 equivalent).  In all of those
cases, partial water changes are likely the best or easiest route for titer
control.

RTR