Re: [APD] Stocking Levels

"With the first two sentences of the first quoted paragraph, I am in full
agreement.  With the last two I have a number of issues, mostly on the idea
that the changes since Innes are "details". The developments of plastics and
polymers, waterproof electric pumps, magnetically linked impellers used with
them, modern filter materials from synthetic fiber mats to polymer sponges
and microporous ceramics are far from detail, they are radical concepts
which would stun the good Doctor.  Ditto fully submersible heaters and
thermostats, efficient tank lighting, and perhaps even prepared food which
will alone at least support full life cycles in fish.  Not mention modern
hobby-level test kits - that alone is a quantum leap."

All of those technological improvements just make it easier to meet the
basic needs that Dr. Innes said were requird to keep healthy fish - clean
water, good food, and the right temperature.

Certainly, 60 guppies in a 10 gallon aquarium would not be esthetically
appealing to many.  Innes also said that to maximize health and growth, the
surface area requirements should be doubled or "trebeled".  That would
reduce the number of guppies in that to about 20 which isn't that far from
what the one inch per gallon rule would suggest.

BTW, my first aquarium heater was a submersable, in about 1950.  It had no
thermostat.  It was unplugged in warm weather.  The fish and plants did just
fine.

Bill