Re: [APD] Stocking levels

"But despite Dr. Innes' many advances - such as the then-radical concept of
water changes - we cannot ignore the fact that those ideas represent the
beginnings of understanding of aquarium biology and kinetics, not anything
approaching a culmination."

Yes, of course.  Much of his work was done in the 1930's.

He was more interested in fish that aquatic plants.   The understanding of
the culture of aquatic plants has shown tremendous growth in the last 5 -
10 - 15 years.

But his words on maintaining healthy fish in aquariums are as true today as
they were when he wrote them.  IMO, very few advancements in that area have
been made since then (although you can educate me if you so wish <g>).

Innes stated that fish need clean water, good food, and the proper
temperature.  He said that overcrowding would lead to unhealthy conditions,
stunting, and early deaths.   I can't think of any other factors that we've
unearthed since then.  Now, foods are more nutritious, filters, if used, are
better, heaters have thermostats, but these are details.

I think a person just starting out with tropical aquariums would be quite
successful if he followed Innes's directins as written and used no other
source.

Bill