[APD] question about general hardness and water quality statistics

Ten years ago there was a really good discussion of water hardness and
alkalinity on this list.   I don't know if any of those people are still
around.   Don't expect their e-mail addresses from ten years ago likely
work.    I need some clarification.

According to my tests of water fresh from teh tap, using API's test kits, my
GH is 143 ppm, and my KH is 5 dKH or 89.5 ppm.   Nearby aquarium stores tell
me their KH is 6 and 10.

I understand that total alkalinity in the city's water quality reports is
measured the same way as KH in the aquarium test kits and effectively is the
same thing for all practical purposes.

Total alkalinity from teh water quality reports is 70 ppm.   This works out
to 4 dKH.   (German degrees)

Totally unclear is what figure on the water quality reports should be the
'general hardness" or how to calculate it from what is there.

Here are relevant statistics.

Calcium 13.1 ppm
Magnesium 15.6 ppm
Hardness as Ca/Mg 105 ppm
Total Hardness as CaCO3 70 ppm
Total Dissolved Solids   175 ppm

I THINK that the "Total Hardness as CaCO3 is the general hardness, but it
sure ain't 143 ppm.   And the range on that is only 87 - 113 ppm.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX
tiggernut24 at yahoo_com