Re: [APD] DIY-ish CO2 kit?

Hi Wolf,
I used a yeast type CO2 generator (DIY) when I got into planted tanks, for about
two weeks. They are very hard to control and nearly impossible to regulate. For the
money, I would just build one myself  from a 2 liter soft drink container and direct the
output into the intake of a filter. You will have the very same thing as any of the CO2
kits sold that operate on a yeast generator. I have not used one, but the Hagen system
looks OK, but the refills are expensive compared to purchasing your own sugar and
brewers yeast.

Look at the yeast CO2 kits maximum size. I think they usually are good for 20-30
gallon tanks. If your tank is larger, they say to buy additional kits.

I just looked on ebay under "CO2 regulator", and you can buy new single stage, dual
gauge regulators for very near the $34 figure you mentioned ($35-$40). A search
under "CO2 tank" showed a brand new 5 lb aluminim CO2 tank from $53.95 from
the same company selling the regulator.

Do yourself a favor: buy the regulator, pony up the extra $55 for the cylinder like you
had before, then you are ready for CO2 injection that can go with any size tank you
may use. When I got serious about planted tank keeping, yeast type CO2 was totally
inadequate.

If you do some cost averaging, you will probably find that the Hagen system or
something comparable and refills will equal the cost of a 5 lb tank and regulator
in about a year or so.

Dave