Re: [APD] Tank backround colour?

Jacques,

I would avoid using a pure black. While your plants will certainly
stand out, any black fish will be lost... voice of experience speaking
here. A school of black neons does not mix well with a black background!

Background colors have always been a matter of concern for me. Blues
do not look natural to my eye. I currently have an 80 gallon with a
charcoal grey color which has worked well, but in my experience the
best has been a really dark dark green - almost black, just subtle
enough not to washout black colored fish. A dark brown looks
intresting, although I have never tried it.

Just as a side note, I like to use 1/2" extruded foam insulation for
my backgrounds. If you paint the foam ( use a latex) rather than the
aquarium, you can easily change colors later - it's also easier to
paint the foam than the glass! I also use black electrical tape to
attach the foam. It hides the joint and seals the gap from water
intrusion.

Hope the info helps,

Mike