Re: [APD] LEDs once more

I believe TBarber wrote this email section below:

> "Cree XR-E Spectral Dist" is the wavelength distribution for one of the
> white LEDs we use (full datasheet at
> http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf)
>
> compared to
>
> "Ushio Aqualite Spectral Dist" for a specialty lamp from a company I've
> actually talked with about aquarium/marine applications. (full datasheet at
> http://www.ushio.com/files/specs/Aqualite.pdf)

> The primary problem with LEDs for aquarium lighting (and we've looked at it
> with some potential partners) is the cost. The 150W Aqualite lamp produces
> 7000 lumens (lumen is a measurement of raw light output from a source) for
> about $65, but you'd need 70 or so white LEDs (and even more blue LEDs) to
> get the same light output at a cost of $150 or more.

Is that cost over the same amount of hours?
LEDs last for 50,000 hours. The Aqualite lamp is rated at 6000 hours.

Aqualite lamp            = 6000 hours @ $65
Cree XLamp LEDs          = 50,000 hours @ $150 or $18 for 6000 hours

Note: LEDs only dim by 30% after its rated lifetime, a lamp dims 100% by
that time! :-)

Hmmm. looks like LEDs may be are cheaper.

But I see Cree have an LED in R&D with a 1000 lum so we'll not need 70.

Plus I see each LED produces 1.1W so 70 will produce 80W, almost half the
power of the lamp, so this may half cooling costs.

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/