Re: [APD] Bleach sterilisation

I like vals, but would rather live without them for the benefit of what
Excel does for my tanks health and looks.

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com] On Behalf Of Jerry Smith
Sent: Thursday, 27 September 2007 1:56 PM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: Re: [APD] Bleach sterilisation

I have used Excel for a few years and have never been able to grow Vals.
They just fade away. Now I stopped using it in one tank and added some Vals.

They are growing fine and sending out runners. I remember reading a Seachem
publication that gave growth rates for three plants, with Vals being one of
them. In this publication, the chart showed a negative growth for Vals using

Excel. I think the booklet was a guide for planted tanks. I don't have it
home now so I can't check the title. I looked at their site and couldn't
find anything on Vals and Excel. I did see that Anacharis is especially
sensitive to Excel and the Seachem recommendation is to use it only every
other day if you are growing Anacharis.

Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ