[APD] LED Technology

Well guys, after many years of being and LED naysayer (and correctly
IMHO), I think we're finally getting there. Several LED manufacturers
have LED emitters on the market right now with efficiencies between 80
and 100 lumens per watt. In addition, advances in LED phosphor
technologies have created LEDs with somewhat normal spectral distributions.

The efficiency and spectra appear roughly equal to other forms of
aquarium lighting, but maintaining 70% of rated output after 50,000
hours places these LEDs far and above other lighting sources in terms of
length of service. All that is left is for costs to come down to sane
levels.

Current cost of the referenced LEDs is about 0.16 cents per thousand
lumen hours, but the cost of typical CF bulbs (assuming 5,000 hours) is
0.08 cents per thousand lumen hours. The initial investment in LED
emitters is very high at $370 for the equivalent of a 55-watt CF, but
they will last for about 11 years on a 12-hour day cycle. By then LED
manufacturers expect to achieve near theoretical limits of efficiency at
around 300 lumens per watt.

Any comments?