[APD] Plant weights, lead, zinc, etc.

Can't we all just get along?  :-)  Well, maybe not, and here's why ...

Keep in mind that the European Union (I realize the U.K. is not a
member) has the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS).
You'll see this label stamped on pretty much any electronic device you
can buy these days which is intended to be marketed globally. RoHS
looks like it would make lead plant weights a thing of the past in
Europe.

The U.S. (with the possible exception of California) has no such
restrictions in place. Based on this I would speculate:

   - If you live in or around the EU, you probably won't see a lead plant weight

   - If you live in the U.S., your plant weights are probably made of lead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROHS

I don't mean to ignore Asia or the Pacific rim, but the information is
less clear to me there. China has a plan, but it is quite different.
Japan doesn't have the restriction, but maybe they do for all
practical purposes because of their recycling laws. I have no idea
what if any restrictions Australia or New Zealand have.

At any rate, I don't leave any plant weights in my tank. (Just thought
I'd weigh in on that. -- Ba dum bum!)

Cheers,

Dave VanderWall