From: Wright Huntley <whuntley at verizon_net>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:48:20 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] plant weights

I have never seen a zinc plant weight. All I have ever seen are lead.
Zinc is not really soft and malleable, like lead.

Lead is harmless and pretty insoluble at neutral or alkaline pH. As pH
drops, it becomes more reactive and is etched to release deadly
heavy-metal compounds into the tank.

Unfortunately, we cannot always catch an incipient pH crash in time, so
the dirty work can happen while we sleep.

My solution is very simple. I may buy plants with lead anchors, but I
remove them when planting the tank. I let the gravel/sand hold the
roots/stems. YMMV.