[APD] something wrong?

Hey folks,

I think that over the past few months my tank has been degenerating.
No difference in my technique, but longer summer days and perhaps
warmer water temperatures.  tank is dosed with KNO3, KH2PO4 and
Mg2SO4 (as per Tom Barr's instructions (he lives in town and came
over once to help me identify plants and help with a brand new set
up.)  I change 20 gallons each week with a mix of Davis tap water and
"H2O to go" distilled.  Davis water is really hard.

I'm wondering if the plants don't look as good as I want because they
need something else?  The substrate is sand, dirt and gravel, same as
from set up.  I don't know if it's a coincidence that my duck weed is
all gone, it seemed to die off a couple months ago. (we let it grow
in the tank and then fish it out and feed it to the goldfish outside
in a pond.)

here's the url for the pics and info:

http://home.comcast.net/~johnfhess/tank.html

sorry that the pics are so big, comcast is a PITA to make a page.

while folks are hopefully looking at this, I'll be looking through a
couple books that Tom lent me and surfing online to see what I can
find about plant health.

John F. Hess, Davis California   johnfhess at comcast_net