Re: [APD] Fish breathing heavily after water change

The temperature of the incoming tap water here is
15 to 25 F above the usual temperature of the
year round normal. The temp of my fish room tanks
runs about 72 to 76.  Right now the ground water
measures 85. The solubility of O2 in this water
is far less than usual. One might take this in
mind about gasping after a water change.

Charles Harrison
  in St Louis

>This was never a problem until we began
>siphoning and filling using a Python. Yesterday
>we siphoned out about 30% or so, which is about
>normal weekly. We fill it up super slow because
>the pipe from which our faucet gets cold water
>is close to ground level and it stays lukewarm
>when it's 100F outside, like it was yesterday.
>So filling took 45-60 minutes. In this time, I
>added a capful of Prime (which dechlorinates 50
>gallons), and added the appropriate amount of
>Seachem Cichlid Salt and baking soda to keep the
>water from getting too soft on them. The tank
>temp stayed a steady 78F, the CO2 was on, but
>it's one of those Hagen ones with the bubble
>ladder, so really it's just cute. :)
>
>Though in recent weeks this has kept their shock
>to a minimum, this morning they were all
>breathing heavily, so I cranked the Eheim up to
>full blast and positioned the spraybar to blow
>bubbles in. Imagine an underwater wind tunnel.
>None were at the surface and are otherwise
>acting normally, but this isn't good for them
>every week, obviously. I checked our city's
>water report for 2006 (most recent) and didn't
>see anything that caught my eye, but I am no
>chemist. It is available here:
>http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/BB2D817F-FC6A-4219-9397-D1D65FD5335A/0/2006CCRfinal.pdf
>
>Does anyone know why this could be happening? If
>it matters, our reservoirs are very low right
>now and they have just imposed a water ban, but
>this has been happening way before that. The
>slow fill used to do the trick. I appreciate any
>help you could offer.
>Thanks,
Erin
--
Change as much water as often as you can!