Re: [APD] chemical query

Ade Lau wrote:
> Stuart,
>     Carbonate and bicarbonate are different buffer (acid base chemistry).  Carbonate is more basic than bicarbonate.  If carbonate are to use as buffer, the pH of the water will stay high.  I think at least 2 to 3 points.

That totally depends on how much is being used. In terms of its effect
on pH, you could say a carbonate is twice as strong as a bicarbonate.
However, since the pH scale is logarithmic, doubling the number of H+
ions consumed will only result in about a 0.3 pH unit difference in
effect. So, if adding 5g potassium bicarbonate resulted in a pH of 7.3,
adding 5g of potassium carbonate would result in a pH of 7.6. If that's
a big deal you could always add the potassium carbonate to a bottle of
soda water first.

--
"Drilling wells is boring."

Jerry Baker