[APD] Lighting Question

Hello! I am new to planted aquariums, though I have been running marine/reef
tanks for a couple of years. I have a 49gal freshwater tank, at 3ft deep. I
have not started to plant it yet. For lighting I have a 400 watt metal
halide pendant, that currently has a 10,000K bulb in it that I originally
planned to use on a reef tank. I am worried this is too much light. I think
it being so blue will help, and I can position it higher above the tank. Any
thoughts? Do I just have to be selective on the plants I select? Thanks!