Re: [APD] Most plants dying; thick layer of goo and Oscillatoria at bottom

At 04:43 PM 6/16/07 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>A while back I started a tank with the following species: Elodea,
Sagittaria, Vallisneria, and Ludwigia. I got them from Ward's Scientific,
and they thrived for a while. Then, because I wanted to grow some for a
Microbiology prof where I work, I tossed in a little Oscillatoria. Well, the
prof was pleased as punch but I soon had pea soup in my tank. I then added a
handful of Daphnia, and they did a superb job of clearing most of the algae.
The tank is doing pretty well now, but all the Elodea are dead- well, I am
unsure what each of the originals were which, but I believe the only one
left doing well is the Sagittaria.  There's also an inch-thick layer of goo
and Oscillatoria on the sand substrate.  Oh, and I have no idea how the
duckweed got in there, but it's been there a while and not covered the
surface, so I am not too concerned. I did toss a handfull of snails in
there, and they lasted a few weeks but all seem to be deceased.  But the
Daphnia are there in their hundreds.

>I would like to get rid of the goo and the Oscillatoria, and replace the
snails.. I have no idea what killed them.  I would prefer to maintain a
vertebrate-free tank, but if I need something with a backbone I'll do it to
clear things up.

Just pick the snails out till they're gone. Repat when they come back.

I'd guess the plants died because you aren't feeding them and they starved
to death.

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net