There are also examples of folks having to clean them every few weeks, even without sunlight or hard water. It more likely to be biofilm, including sugards, proteins, bacteria and algae, that gunk up the device. But they certainly work, as do most other of the methods for injecting CO2. Some methods are more efficient in terms of how much CO2 gets into the water and how much gets into the atmosphere before dissolving into the water but evidence on what methods are more effective in terms of plant growth is scant and probably justly so. Even efficiency isn't a terriffic issue for folks where CO2 is relatively cheap, for example, a dollar per pound for a large tank. My source charges $9 for a refill (essentially a service charge) plus a charge for the CO2 (about 20 cents per pound). I know that in some places the price is many times higher.

sh

----- Original Message ----
From: Dave Gomberg <dave1 at wcf_com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:45:38 AM
Subject: Re: [APD] Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 46, Issue 9

At 15:37 6/12/2007, you wrote:
>How do people clean (and how often) their glass diffusers?

I have sold about 500 sintered glass diffusors.   I clean mine about
once a year.   Some folks go a couple of years between cleanings,
some clean every couple of months.   It mostly depends on how hard
your water is and how much sunshine shines on your glass disk.

>How much do you pay for a 5lb bottle of CO2 (exchange empty for full)?

This varies a LOT, but I would say from $12 to $30.   The big savings
is stepping up to 20#.   They cost almost the same for 4 times the CO2.

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     gomberg1 at wcf dot com
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html