Re: [APD] Off Topic: LED lights

I believe Harry Martin wrote this email section below:
> Just imagine, some day our aquarium tops, or lids, will be an array of LEDs
> beaming light straight down into the tank. It will be no thicker than a sheet of
> glass and produce little heat.

There will be lots of heat!

> Any heat produced could be safely transferred into
> the water by trickling water across the top spilling back down into the tank.

Nice idea but it may get covered with algae and minerals!
And it'll heat up my tank.

Have people interested in this subject looked at the OLED site?

http://www.oled-info.com/oledForLighting

It has current state of the art OLED news and their videos of a OLED light
changing colour is cute and full of possibilities!
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfrFX36Hkc

http://www.oled-info.com/prototype_images/ge_oled_white_light_2x2_0

http://www.oled-info.com/prototype_images/sony_prototype_27_and_11_oled_screen_at_ces_2007_cnet_photo
These small Tvs are only 5mm thick and the large TV is 10mm!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-z_Kq_2aiI

Philips said this last year:
Philips and Novaled reached a new record for the power efficiency of a white
OLED, obtaining 32 lm/W with colour coordinates of 0,47/0,45 and a CRI of 88
at a brightness of 1000 cd/m2. That same device structure thereby
simultaneously shows a lifetime of more than 20000 hours which is a major
achievement for a future commercialization of the OLED technology for
lighting applications.
http://www.novaled.com/news/2006_06_07_pr.html

So people that know these things can tell us if this is good or not! ;-)

http://www.hitech-projects.com/euprojects/olla/index.html
Seems to be a OLED lighting project.

--
Stuart Halliday