Re: [APD] How much light actually gets down here?

Scott's reply is very good but just to add my  $0.10 worth (with the
price of gas the price of my advice has increased).  If memory serves, a
37gallon is 36x22x12, more or less.  So,  if you want to upgrade my
suggestion would be either 1x96watt or 2x55watt PC arranged end to end.
Either of those combinations would provide you with sufficient light to
grow almost any plant, providing of course you meet the plants other
nutritional requirements.  AH Supply makes excellent retrofit fixtures.
They have the best reflectors on the market and the kits are easy even
for a non-handy person to do.  The only real different between 1x96 and
2x55 end to end is bulb  choice.  96watt bulbs are often more limited on
color (k rating) than are 55 watt bulbs.  The difference in wattage and
coverage is negligable in that case.   If you want to buy a ready made
PC fixture I suggest the Current Satellite or Orbit.  Both are very
nice, attractive and reasonably priced.

Another option is a 2 or 4x54watt T5HO fixture.  Tek (sunlight supply)
has the best reflectors but the cost is more than for PC.  If you want a
Tek but want to save some money, you can buy the "hydroponics" version
which has 4 bulbs and 2 ballasts but only one cord and switch.  It is a
very easy modification (for anyone) to add a second power cord if you
want to control the bulbs independantly.  The hyrdoponics version is a
good bit cheaper.   Personally, for that tank I would use a DIY setup of
2x54watt T5HO.  A ballast is about $17 shipped, reflectors are $25 each
and bulbs are $10-15 each.  You of course need to be able to build a
hood and wire it.

T5 packs a little more punch the PC does and you get more light because
restrike is minimized (thats why T5 uses special reflectors) in
comparison to PC.  Either solution will proved you with enough light to
penetrate 22" of water.

Dennis