Re: [APD] DIY tanks

Ther ain't no ride like the ride you get sitting on top of liqufaction. ;-)

----- Original Message ----
From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Saturday, April 7, 2007 11:45:29 AM
Subject: Re: [APD] DIY tanks

S. Hieber wrote:
> It also mattered greatly whether the length of the tank was parallel or perpendicular to the shockwaves. In supermarkets, some shelve emptied and other didn't for just this reason.

One of the factors even more important than proximity to the epicenter
is the type of soil under the structure. Loose soils and sand have some
interesting properties when they are shaken, amplifying the shock waves.
Where I live is primarily granite with a small topping of topsoil, so it
doesn't shake as badly. If you've ever been on a boat in high seas, just
play that experience back on fast forward and you get an idea of what
it's like in this area usually.

--
"He who throws dirt is sure to lose ground."

Jerry Baker