Re: [APD] Scratched aquarium glass and DIY tanks

At 08:17 PM 4/5/07 -0400, you wrote:
>Is it worth the trouble to try and remove scratches from a nice older
55gal?  Nice 1/2" thick glass, heavy tank.  They are mostly not noticeable
when the tank is full, but a few are deep enough that they show badly.And
how about building your own bigger tank.  I am looking at 240-300 gal size.
Friends just got a 300 delivered from glasscages.com to the tune of $2600
with stand and canopy.  They are not to fill it with water for 4 weeks after
manufacture date or the 90 day warranty is void.  As if they would ship it
back!  I'd rather spend a couple or three hundred for glass and silicone.  I
know I can build a stand after seeing how simple theirs are made!  I can buy
the 3/4" oak plywood for $50 a sheet and save $600+.  Any experience
here?Nick A in southern NM

You can remove scratches from a tank by using cerium oxide but it's slow
going and a lot of work.

It's usually more expensive to buy precision cut thick glass than to buy a
ready made
tank.

There's much more labour in a stand than a tank and that's an easy DIY
project. Use baltic birch
not particle board and seal it with many many coats of urethane.

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net