Re: [APD] Plant safe algae eaters

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon,  2 Apr 2007 16:54:35 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Plant safe algae eaters.
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> I've never had much luck keeping otocinclus alive for long period.
>
> I use ammano shrimps instead which seem to be much hardier.
>
> Now before you all jump in and say what great luck you have
> keeping oto's, remember the curse of the Pl*co!

I've read in a few reasonably reliable places that otos are caught with
cyanide.   They live in plant-clogged areas and can't be netted.  Too
much cyanide, and they don't recover and just waste away.  The best
thing to do is find some that have been in LFS for a while, or look for
the occasional shipment of higher-priced, tank-raised fish.  The next
trick is not keeping too many of them, and only adding them if there is
visible algae in the tank.  They often refuse to eat anything but soft
algae, so they'll slowly starve in a tank that's too clean.  Once I get
them past the first month or two, otos usually live 3-5 years for me,
longer than Amanos.

--Elaine