Re: [APD] Plant safe algae eaters.

I believe Brown, Daniel wrote this email section below:
> Potentially slightly off topic...
>
> I seem to be having terrible luck trying to keep Otto Catfish in my 30G
> planted tank, then seem fine for a week or two and then I find them dead
> or dying.  I've tried feeding them extra food like algae wafers but they
> never seem interested in them, water parameters (PH, nitrate, nitrite &
> ammonia) seem normal (safe) so I'm a bit stumped.

But you know they are seriously abused when captured? Seemingly they're
stunned by Cyanide and then virtually starved on route to the shops.

They need to be fed on natural algae for a couple of weeks to settle in.
Then you can try converting them to algae wafers.

> My local store does
> not have any bristlenose in stock (or had any for a while) but they do
> have some clown and zebra plecs and I was wondering if anyone here has
> had any experience with these breeds (or any others that may be
> suitable) and how well they do for algae control (mainly for the glass,
> I've got shrimp for the rest).

I don't think Zebra plecs are algae eaters.
My Clown plec certainly isn't.

You can't go wrong with Siamese Algae Eaters (Siamese Flying Fox)
- Crossocheilus siamensis

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Siamese_Algae_Eater

Mine are gorgeous and they love each others company.
They like to lay on any horizontal leaves in groups.
The above link are pictures of mine.

But they're not really glass algae eaters...sorry.

You're best bet is to get your tank balanced if you want no glass algae.
:-)

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/