Re: [APD] Proper disposal of Aquatic plants and hobbyist responsibility

On 2/27/07, Harry Martin <harry at harrymartincartoons_com> wrote:

> Dennis Dietz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >     I have started a thread over at www.aquaticplantcentral.com to
> > discuss this topic.  I am very interested in discussing how we, as
> > hobbyists, can be responsible in our protection of the native.natural
> > ecosystems.
>

> I'd be more worried about the walking catfish and iguanas that are
> taking over Florida, and the dying honey bee colonies, than a few
> delicate aquatic plants taking over our waterways.

With all due respect invasive plant species, including aquatic plants, are a
big issue.  They are choking out native plants and upsetting the balance
that also allows native animal species to thrive.

Louisiana is breathtaking in the spring when an enormous portion of the
Achafalaya Basin is covered in blooming water hyacinth.  It's a real problem
with real consequences.

In Wyoming it's likely that composting isn't an issue.  In particularly wet
areas it is not a safe disposal method.  But even in cold water, a
remarkable number of aquatic plants that don't do so well in aquaria do
extremely well in local lakes, rivers and ponds.  I can see that right down
the road from me here in north Idaho.

--
Liz