Re: [APD] How much lighting for a 36" 58G planted tank?

Thanks for the info Dennis,

I'm willing to spend up to about $500 (CDN) for lighting, as I know from
not having enough lighting previously just how limiting it is in terms
of what you can keep if you don't have enough lighting.  A lighting
system that does not require cooling fans would be a nice bonus as I've
got a little eight gallon biocube running at the moment and its cooling
fans make a bit of noise (about the same as a PC, its noticeable when
the fan turns off/on).  So I guess one of the light fixtures that is
passively cooled and something can stand on legs above the tank
(attached to the rim of the tank) would be nice too, so I guess it
sounds like I may have a preference after all!

The 4 x39w T5 system has dual ballasts, two cords and can be mounted on
legs above the tank so that could be the winner.  Most of the Mental
Halide fixtures seem to require cooling fans, so that rules them out
unless there is a hanging system I've not seen yet.  Does your 1.5-2wpg
rule of thumb only apply for PC lights or does that work for T5s too?
As then 58G would need about 87-116 and the 70G 105-140 watts of
lighting...

Sure suggestion of running two tubes all day and two for 5-6 hour mid
day burst sounds really interesting I've not heard of that being done
before, sounds like a good idea though.  I'll need to see where I can
source a CO2 system next, not seen any in the shops locally other than
the yeast & sugar models.

Thanks again for the advice!

Daniel