From: "Brown, Daniel" <dpbrown at ea_com>
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2007 8:02:35 PM
Subject: Re: [APD] Planted Discus Tank using Natural methods?

Thanks for the link Liz,

These two threads seem quite useful:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/36019-would-discu
s-keep-in-natural-tank.html
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/35066-discus-in-a
-natural-planted-tank.html

I wonder if I was to let the planted tank become fully established (over
two-three months) if the same level of heavy water changes would be
required for raising the initial you'd discus (I don't think you can buy
adults easily).  Would snails like the Malaysian trumpet snail (which
I've had in the past), help keep the waste levels in control?  I know
that in the natural tank model the plants will soak up the excess
nutrients quickly but I wonder if the snails would also help.

Basically I'd like to keep Discus, I like the ease & low maintenance of
keeping natural planted tanks and wonder if the two could be combined...

Cheers,

Daniel