Re: [APD] pearling after water changes Vol 2

Raj wrote:
> Bill,
>
>         I've seen this too.. I think my heaters are growing. they seem
> longer than last year when I took them out during spring. Some don't
> fit the tanks anymore.
>
>         I'm more worried about electric "Bill"ing than pearling!
>
> Raj
>
> At 29-01-07, you wrote:
>
>> I just noticed that one of my heaters responds to water changes,
>> particularly if the changes are large in size and made with some vigor.  The
>> heater becomes covered with bubbles, some of which dissipate and are
>> replaced by new ones, at least for a while.
>>
>> I hadn't known that heaters responded so rapidly to changes in gaseous
>> nutrients.  That heater hasn't shown any growth to speak of, but then it is
>> kept in a low light environment without added carbon.
>>
>> Bill

Yes yes. But how about my story?

... I'm a lazy ass. I've had planted aquaria since my teens and now in
my 30's with no plans to stop (being a lazy ass). With changes in your
life, one can tend to... wander in terms of dedication to the hobby and
just let things.... go.  That being said, I repeatedly am surprised by
my planted tank. How it recovers from a 3 month state of neglect. When
my tank has succumbed to this state I normally clean the filter out
first, then let it lie for a week to recover. Then next week vacuum,
resulting in a 50% water change. Again, let recover for a week and then
add nutrients (PMDD). Ultimately at this point in the cycle it would pay
to again vacuum again next week, but... ah... things get in the way. :)

All "pearling" aside however, the most marked recovery from pale, or
transparent leaves to full perkiness and zealous growth is observed in
the days immediately following the 50% water change.

Can this be attributed to:

 a) a gross reduction in Nitrates?
 b) a spectrum of accessible atmospheric gases?
 c) chelated zinc from hot water heater?
 d) god knows what from the local water treatment plant?
 e) all of the above?

- C