Re: [APD] Shrimp q's

I believe John F. Hess wrote this email section below:
> Hi,
>
> separate email because it's specifically shrimp questions.
>
> After a couple weeks in the tank, it looks like all my Amano shrimp
> (7 from the lfs in town) are still alive.  I have only seen one or 2
> at a time, but for the past couple of afternoon-evenings, they have
> been localized to one spot on a piece of wood.  What's up with that?

Probably Infusoria and algae growing on the wood.

An 'all-you-can-eat' cafe? :-)

> Also, I have a ghost shrimp that is getting whiter and opaque.  Is
> this old age or growth, indicating he'll be splitting his skin and
> getting a new shell?

Could be. As long as you feed low protein food, have a decent level of GH
water then your shrimp can develop a good carapace.

Shrimp often change colour as they absorb minerals from your tank.

>  Last, talking about water, the surface of my
> water has a very faint sort of oil slick look on part of it.  I
> assume it's not supposed to be there?  Is it from plants/fish/food/
> pump/my arm or what?

Biofilm from bacteria probably.

--
Stuart Halliday