From: Bob <zxcvbob at charter_net>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:33:04 PM
Subject: [APD] Cleaning up red algae

My planted goldfish tank has suddenly been overrun with hair algae, or
maybe it's beard algae.  It is especially bad on the leaf surfaces of my
anubias.  I've cleaned up most of it, and I just noticed that the fish
are trying to eat it off the anubias.  I need to repossess my CO2 tank
(teenage daughter is carrying it in her car because she has a leaky
tire) and hook it up again so the plants will outgrow the algae.

Can I bleach the anubias to kill the algae, or will that hurt the
anubias?  (can you even hurt an anubias?)

How about making a temporary terrarium out of a half-gallon fruit jar
and planting the anub' in that for a week or two with the leaves out of
the water?

Thanks,
Bob