Re: [APD] 10,000K CF

I replaced a 125 gallon about six months ago with a 90 gallon. The only
changes I made, besides the tank, were the substrate and the lighting. I
replaced Flourite with Onyx sand and my old homemade CF setup with a
spiffy Outer Orbit HQI/CF fixture. The thing puts out 560 watts total,
with 2 150-watt metal halides and 2 130-watt CFs. The CFs, which run 10
hours a day (the halides run about six), are Sunpaq 130w dual daylight
6,700k/10,000k.

This tank isn't getting nearly the growth as the old setup, which ran
six 55w (330w total, 6,700k) over 125 gallons. I suspect either the
substrate or the lighting, with the lighting being the stronger suspect.

I bought this setup with the idea that color temperature was only of
aesthetic importance, and that wattage was the determining factor in
growth. Now I'm not sure. The other tank did much better with 6,700k.

There's one other difference: this tank is full of swords and
vallisneria. The other had only some lilaeopsis, swordwise, with a huge
ludwigia and a couple of other things. Do different plants prefer
different color temps.?
--

  fixingahole at ftml_net

--