[APD] DIY CO2 in a Red Sea Turbo Bio System?

Greetings,

I have a silly question. Is there any reason why I can’t just put yeast,
sugar & water into my Red Sea doohickey instead of paying 20 bucks for 3
refills plus shipping? I mean, that’s all it is, right? Just pre-measured
and with pretty packaging?

I’ve looked around at various DIY CO2 instructions, but they seem to be for
set-ups with a significantly larger capacity than this little thing (one
liter? Half a liter? It’s not very big…) I’ve also seen a couple of warnings
about messy accidents with DIY.

So – what do you think?

TIA,

Rebecca