[APD] how to grow stem plants (Bacopa)

Hello,

I've been having a hard time keeping stem plants such as the bacopa family
alive in my tank. I have a 10 and 20 gallon tank. 10 gallon has 20 Watt CF
lights and the 20 gallon has 55 watt CF lights. But still what I am seeing
is that there is growth at the top of the plant but the leaves near the
middle or bottom of the plant wither away slowly with time. How can
successfully grow these type of plants? I dose regularly following
Estimative Index method. I have a Flourite substrate with sand on top.
Is this still a lighting problem?

Thanks.

-Tom