[APD] new plants!

Hi folks,

I just got my assortment of plants plus 1 square foot of micro swords
from aquariumplants.com today and planted them in my bare (bare as in
no plants) 55g tank.  I do not have a plan, but am just trying to see
what happens and unfortunately, learn how to grow plants.  Some of
the plants have leaves at the ends of stems, some are frilly, some
are cuttings wrapped at the base with lead.  I expect things to go
wrong and learn from my mistakes, so for now, the plants are just
planted. Unfortunately, the order does not come with a key, so I
don't know what I was sent.

First question:  the square foot of micro swords is in fact a square
foot of micro swords all grown together like sod.  I could rip or cut
it into smaller pieces, but for now, it's in the tank in one piece.
the question is, how do I plant it?  It wants to float.  Untangling
each plant and planting it separately is not going to happen.  I
grabbed handfuls of gravel and used it to weigh the plants down, but
should I continue this and very evenly scatter some sand/gravel down
on the plants and try to work in down into the root area?

I'll be reading plant forums now, but helpful tips with regard to
planting the plants are appreciated, such as how important is it to
bury the roots and leave the crown exposed from the substrate?  You
can kill terrestrial plants by planting them too deep.  Same with
aquatic plants?

cheers,

John F. Hess, Davis California   johnfhess at comcast_net