Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:49:46 EST
From: Billionzz at aol_com
Subject: [APD] Ballast electronic or magnetic?
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

I have some extra glass and I'm going to build a tank that is going to set
in my garage to grow plants out in.

The tank will 48" x 14" x 14" - approximately 40 gallons. It doesn't need  to
look good, just a place to grow out some different plants.

I was planning on putting some shop lights from home depot over this tank,
two strips with 2 - 40 watt bulbs each, making a total of 160 watts.

But now I have a couple of questions that I was hoping that I could get  some
help with.

1. Should I get electronic or magnetic ballast? The magnetic is  cheaper.

2. Should I get the strip with T12's (40 watt bulbs) for 160 watts total or
the T8's (32 watt bulbs) for 128 watts total?

3. Would anyone suggest different lighting for this tank? It isn't for  looks
at all only to grow out plants.

Thanks,
Bill