Re: [APD] KH question

Hello Liz

I have some ponds outside that total about 80,000 litres all linked
together.   The bore water (well water for US speaking people) has a KH of
20 ppm (I degree) and a GH of 20 ppm (1 deg)  when it comes to the surface.
I add potassium bicarbonate to bring the KH to 60 or 80 and dolamite lime to
bring the GH to 50 or 70 ppm (sometimes 50/50 mix epsom salts and calcium
chloride if in a hurry).   I turn up the gas to get the pH to neutral in the
mornings.   I cant get enough gas into the water to keep the pH at neutral
all day.    The only time the pH drops very low is when we have huge amounts
of rain and the KH and GH are diluted.

I always associated pH crashes with tanks full of fish (not many or no
plants) all pooping and a huge bio filter pouring out acid as a by-product.

Cheers

Dave
http://www.aquagreen.com.au