Re: [APD] KH question

On 11/20/06, S. Hieber <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:

> I think most often, when folks say "buffer" what they really mean is
> "alkaline", except for true buffer products such as the Seachem product
> mentioned. Even with true buffers, you have to have enough of it in the
> water for it to work.

I'm sure you saw that I didn't mention the word "buffer" when I asked the
question.  :)

My reference to pH crash -- a rapid, large decrease in pH -- is something
that can occur with CO2 injection.  I got an off-list email from a member
who had that happen with water at a lower KH than what is coming out of my
tap.  "Rumor has it" that pH carshes can happen with water that has a KH of
3.  I was mostly interested in hearing if anyone here could say it had or
had not happened in their aquariums.  Vaughn's response indicates it's not
likely.

Liz