[APD] Leaking Eheim

About a month ago, I noticed that when I shut off my Eheim 2126 filter to do a water change, water started leaking out from under the top plate.  As soon as I turned it back on, everything was fine.

Then, yesterday, after I cleaned the filter itself, it started leaking, even when running.  I removed the top again, took out the O-ring, cleaned out its channel, put the O-ring back in, and covered it with silicone grease.  It still leaked.  More silicone didn't help.  All I could do was shut off the filter and remove the adapter that connects the hoses to the Eheim.

>From reading the archives, it seems likely that I need a new O-ring.  I've ordered one, but the problem is that I'm going to be away for a week, starting the day after tomorrow, before I could possibly receive the replacement. Here's what I've done so far:

Shut off the CO2.
Removed the cover glass to (hopefully) provide some oxygenation, even without circulation.
Turned off one of the two lights and raised the fixture about a foot above the tank.

Is this going to work?  In particular, will the fish and shrimp survive?  If not, is there anything else I ought to do?  Thanks.

John T. Fitch
www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html